Whether you are meeting your potential new boss, a new date or even a new friend for your social circle, making a good first impression is key to being remembered and to kick off a healthy new connection. Below are a few tips that you should remember when meeting new people for the first time.
- Copy the person you’re talking to – Obviously, don’t do it in a noticeable way. But maybe mimic some of their gestures or body language.
- Let them talk more than you – Nailing a first impression is easier when you listen.
- In professional settings, start by asking a question – Being engaged shows a good first impression.
- Reveal your own flaws – Know that you’re not perfect.
- Always be around – Show up in spots where they might be and make sure to say hi when they’re around.
- Compliment people – Giving people compliments makes them like you.
- Tell them a secret – If thee person feels like they know something no one else does, they’ll feel closer to you.
- Keep a positive tone when you can – Not negative Nancys.
- Emphasize similarities – Really hone in on the things you have in common.